Is your business experiencing rapid growth? Have you graduated from using Shared hosting but you’re not quite ready for a Dedicated Server hosting Service just yet? Virtual Private Servers (VPS) is the best between shared and dedicated servers.
Here we’ll explore what VPS hosting is, how it works, some of its benefits and how LuxHosting.com can assist you in getting started.
Table of Contents
So, what is VPS Hosting?
VPS is one of the most popular types of web hosting services available. It divides a single strong server into several virtual servers for multiple websites using virtualisation technology. In simple terms, it uses a single piece of physical hardware that functions as several individual servers.
Once your website starts gaining more traffic to the point of exceeding the capacity of your shared hosting plan, then VPS hosting is the next right move. It’s a stable and secure solution that is affordable allowing you to scale your site when you need additional resources.
How does VPS work?
It’s important to note that a virtual private server VPS hosting emulates a dedicated hosting environment. This difference, however, lies in the allocation of the system’s resources. The resources are divided among the individual sites on the server.
VPS uses a single server to run numerous, one of a kind Virtualised operating systems on a single server where each system behaves as if it is a dedicated server.
We, therefore, can safely say that a virtual private server VPS hosting is both private and virtual at the same time allowing you the user/client to have complete control. Of course, your VPS is separated from other server users who are part of the larger operating system.
Advantages of Virtual Private Server (VPS)Hosting
As we stated earlier, having VPS hosting is similar to having a dedicated server hosting service but for a much lower cost. Having VPS hosting offers you more privileges within your operating system and allows you to install any type of software that is capable of running on that operating system. Each VPS software is installed separately, enabling independent functionality for all users.
Regardless of the number of users on the server or the size of the websites, you are guaranteed the resources and functionality you are paying for. Plus, a VPS is faster and more reliable than shared server hosting but less expensive than dedicated server hosting. By choosing VPS hosting you also receive root access to your server coupled with better privacy and security features fit for protecting data you will gather from your website users.
Types of VPS Hosting
Depending on your skill level, overall preferences, and budget, you can choose between managed or unmanaged VPS hosting.
Unmanaged VPS are self-managed and is best suited for people who are tech-savvy and have a good understanding of the Linux command line and Windows. While VPS will be delivered to you by the service provider, you will be responsible for installing, upgrading, customising, and monitoring it. Other duties you’ll have to perform include:
- Installing software, fixing your control panel to your liking and taking care of all software updates.
- Being on the alert for security threats, installing security patches and fixing any error messages that may arise.
- In the event of an unplanned outage or any form of hardware failure, you won’t get much if any support from your host based on the agreements of this type of hosting package.
- You’re also responsible for configuring and maintaining your server including any upgrades you might want to see.
- As the subscriber to an unmanaged VPS hosting service, you also take over the responsibility of setting up your sites backup services.
- We recommend this type of VPS hosting for website owners who have a technical background.
The Downside of unmanaged VPS
- Less expensive in comparison to managed VPS.
- However, you may need to employ a server administrator to configure your server, which will cost money.
- You’ll need to install, operate, and update security software on your VPS to protect your site from potential security risks.
A managed VPS is the preferable alternative for you if you don’t want to be the server’s administrator or if you are just not tech-savvy. It offers excellent customer service, software installation, and updates. This allows you to focus on your website, brand, and consumers.
This type of VPS helps to lighten your load by keeping your server up and running correctly and taking overall care of your virtual server. Expect to receive the following from your web hosting provider as a managed VPS hosting subscriber:
- An initial and complete server setup – You can breathe easy because when you launch your site using managed VPS hosting services, your host will install your control panel, operating system, server software, and other applications.
- Updates – All applications and operating system updates as well as ongoing fine-tuning of the server are handled by a support team on your behalf.
- Security patches – No need to worry about the security patches for your operating system and core server software. All of these are taken care of and are installed and updated, on your behalf.
- Monitoring – Checking for early warning signs of hardware failure and malicious attack is important and is surely a plus with managed VPS hosting.
- Automated backups – Should anything go wrong with your website, you can retrieve an earlier version of it with scheduled and automated backups from your hosting provider.
The Downside of managed VPS
- You may not be able to switch operating systems with some VPS services.
- During the initial setup, it can be a little time-consuming
Managed VPS vs Unmanaged VPS
Managed VPS runs smoothly since you will put in less effort in putting it up. What’s more, you will have less monitoring because the service provider will be in charge of those duties.
On the other hand, unmanaged VPS hosting services are, naturally, far cheaper than managed plan. However, that doesn’t mean that one is better than the other. It all depends on, as we stated before, your level of expertise, your preferences and your budget.
Individuals who want to customise and monitor their own VPS should choose unmanaged VPS. To get the most out of an unmanaged VPS, you’ll need to be a pro. The service provider will not be of any assistance to you. You’ll be responsible for installing and upgrading all aspects of the server, including security fixes. With managed VPS you get all those benefits without lifting a finger.
VPS hosting provides more security for your eCommerce websites. It also allocates more resources, than shared hosting and has a much more reliable server than that of shared hosting. VPS hosting is similar to dedicated server hosting but without the hefty cost and extra resources.
If you’re ready for a scalable and reliable web hosting service that has adequate resources, then visit LuxHosting.com. Get started with one of our best storage VPS hosting packages today. Our dedicated and highly efficient team is ready to help you start.